Saturday 15 March 2014

Week beginning: 10 March 2014 - New Frontiers


Art Project
As a part timer I am not joining the rest of the 2013-14 BAD3 group in their final project.  So I have set myself a challenge with an art project. 
Photo Etching Process
I had made arrangement with the Printing technician, Jessica Crisp to come in on Monday for a tutorial of the Photo etching process. 
The car journey into campus was kindly accommodated by a BAD3A colleague.
The day began with a new frontier into Photo etching with a tutorial by Jessica Crisp, printing technician.
Jessica Crisp supplied the copper plate and the next stage was to clean it.  Oh the glamour of the art world!


The whole photo etching process took a day to accomplish a finished photo etched copper plate. 













                                                   In dark room added photographic film



































At the end of a long tiring college day, the photo etched copper plate was then ready for the intaglio printing process. As time was short I was limited with my intaglio experimentations to one with paper and two textile samples.



The Intaglio experimentations revealed the potentials of this process. 
 In retrospect this is a long complex process. I will now need time to rest up to allow the old artistic juices to flow.  The Photo etching process requires access to staff, equipment and supplies.  As access can be restricted or not easily obtained this will be a problem to consider for the project.  The process will be also be restricted by the cost of supplies and limit the project experimentation. 
PDP
I requested redirected study via e-mail to tutor, Paul.  This was accepted by another staff member as Paul is unwell.  Get well soon Paul.
The promotional material requires quality paper.  I have again had another discussion with the supplier of the quality paper.  He has promised to get it this time.  Can I depend on this?  As experience has showed that this may not happen I have an alternative source in the local shops.  It is an expensive option but reliable.  As I have a tutorial next week I can wait a couple of days and see what happens. 
The purchase of a professional A4 traditional portfolio has met the brief requirements.
The portfolio inserts require quality photographic imagery.  The poor quality of Raploch campus colour printer led to research of alternative sources. 
A discussion with colleague of possible sources indicated that the Local Supermarket has poor quality of colour imagery. 
A visit to the Falkirk campus to preview their 2 colour printer quality revealed a slight improvement of imagery. 
The purchase of ink cartridges for my own printer will be followed by the purchase of photographic paper as soon as finances allow. 
Critical & Contextual Studies
I spent a lot of time working hard on the essay in preparation for the meeting in Falkirk campus. 
The meeting led to further amendments.  After mutual agreement I have postposed the next week’s meeting. 
2nd draft recycling PowerPoint Petcha Kutcha Presentation
The process of matching my words to imagery within a timed period required practice.  This practice allowed amendments before the big day. 
On Friday, the recycling PowerPoint presentation took place in front of my BAD2 colleagues.  The tutor will give feedback on the PowerPoint presentation. 
Congratulations
My fellow BAD2 colleagues also presented their own Petcha Kutcha PowerPoints.  Each colleague had very interesting and different subject matter.  I must pass on my congratulations to all the BAD2 who bravely tackled this task.     

No comments:

Post a Comment